Calorie Counting Sucks: 2 Things To Do Instead To Lose Weight and Keep It Off
November, 3rd 2022
It's tedious, it's time-consuming, and it's just generally a pain to do. But worst of all, it doesn't even work in the long term.
Here’s a question, how many years have you been dieting?
If you’re like most people who pursue weight loss, you probably have dieted for a very long time (and have very little to show for it).
Question: why would you choose to continue a failed strategy for months, years, or even a decade?
As Albert Einstein said, the definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
The problem? Restricting yourself to a strict diet is a band-aid solution that does nothing to develop positive behavior change.
Behavior change might not be sexy, but it is necessary if you want to achieve your ideal body weight.
Most diets depend on calorie-counting, which is a dreadful activity that sucks the joy out of eating.
People who generally count calories do so for a short amount of time, typically until they reach their goal weight (or close to). Then they stop counting.
When they stop doing it, they often gain back the weight (sometimes even more).
Here's why calorie counting doesn't work in the long-term
1. It's inaccurate: The calorie counts on food labels are often inaccurate, so you could be eating more or less than you think.
2. It's not sustainable: Counting calories is a lot of work and it's not something you can do forever.
3. It can lead to eating disorders: This can cause unhealthy behaviors such as restrictive eating and obsessing over food.
4. It ignores the root cause: It doesn't address the root cause of weight gain, which is often hormonal imbalance or other underlying health issues.
2 Things To Do Instead to Help You Lose Weight and Keep It Off
Step 1: Start a visual food diary and see what you’re eating daily
Download the FoodDiaryBee photo diary app. This makes logging your daily meals visually easier than ever.
You need a way to look back in time to see what you’re eating. Use this app to snap a pic of everything you eat and drink throughout the day.
Include not only what you ate and drank, but also the amounts in the notes. This will help you to better gauge the quality of foods you’re consuming. This way you can modify your diet to reach goals quicker.
With FoodDiaryBee you’ll be able to:
- Snap a photo of your meal and you're done. No more tedious calorie counting and barcode scanning.
- Generate a PDF report of past meals and share with friends or a nutritionist
- Set your own custom daily meal reminders to help you log meals consistently
- Free yourself from endless fad diets and grueling calorie counting
Step 2: Prioritize eating high quality calories
You can lose weight without counting calories. If you focus on eating healthy foods and being active, you will naturally start to lose weight.
Don’t worry about counting calories, instead focus on eating high quality whole foods.
Foods with lots of protein, fiber and healthy fats. It’s hard to overeat healthy foods. Plus they keep your stomach satiated for hours throughout the day.
It’s not necessary to go crazy about calories in food journaling and it’s not going to help you lose weight in the long run.
So remember, start your food journaling use the FoodDiaryBee app to make food tracking easier.